In Support of Entrepreneurs: A Message from Steve Case and Scott Case
Co-authored by Steve Case and Scott Case
Last week, we had the pleasure of announcing our founding board and our four corporate sponsors. Our all-star board consists of a diverse group of people from sports icon Magic Johnson, to FedEx founder Fred Smith, and from computer magnate Michael Dell to groundbreaking fashion entrepreneur Tory Burch and tech titan Reid Hoffman, just to name a few. All of our board members have one thing in common: they started and grew their own businesses into the successful operations they are today. Some of them have built successful, high-growth businesses over a period of decades, while others have only formed their companies within the last five years. But most importantly, they all know what it’s like to launch and scale a business.
We held our first board call this week, and we’re planning our first in-person meeting this fall. The enthusiasm we’ve already seen from our board members to be a part of the Startup America Partnership is yet another demonstration of the importance of helping entrepreneurs – and young companies with high growth potential in particular – grow their businesses in order to create jobs and get the American economy back on track. Over the coming months, we’ll be turning to our board members to leverage their experiences and skill sets to provide guidance on how we can best help young companies emulate their success. A complete list of our founding board is below.
Our corporate sponsors- American Express OPEN, Dell, Intuit and Microsoft- are four companies that are well known for their leadership and their dedication to helping entrepreneurs succeed. Not only are these companies already providing unique resources to startups through our platform, but they are also offering financial and strategic support to the Partnership. This support will enable us to spend all of our time and energy focusing on helping startups grow. Look for our sponsors at many of the exciting events that we’ll be participating in, such as DEMO Fall 2011, Thinc Iowa, Innovation Uncensored and SXSW.
It’s been an incredibly exciting six months for the Partnership. In addition to securing our board and sponsors, we’ve already announced more than $500 million in private-sector commitments to support startups. We’re currently gathering even more partners to offer a vast array of resources to young companies. And behind the scenes, we’ve been building out and testing our platform which will enable startups to register and take advantage of these great resources. Look for the public launch of our platform next month.
To wrap up, a huge thanks to all of our board members and our sponsors. It’s great to have you on board and we know we’ll be even more successful in helping startups with your support.
- Steve Case, Chairman of the Startup America Partnerhip
- Scott Case, CEO of the Startup America Partnership
- Carl J. Schramm, President and CEO of the Kauffman Foundation
- Tory Burch, CEO and CCO, Tory Burch LLC
- Pamela Reilly Contag, CEO, Cygnet Biofuels
- Michael Dell, Chairman and CEO, Dell, Inc.
- Raul Fernandez, Chairman, ObjectVideo, Inc.
- Reed Hastings, Chairman, President, and CEO, Netflix, Inc.
- Reid Hoffman, Executive Chairman and Co-Founder, LinkedIn
- Magic Johnson, Founder and CEO, Magic Johnson Enterprises
- Lynn Jurich, President and Co-Founder, SunRun, Inc.
- Kevin Plank, Chairman, President, and CEO, Under Armour, Inc.
- Fred Smith, Chairman, President, and CEO, FedEx Corporation
- Nina Vaca-Humrichouse, CEO, Pinnacle Technical Resources, Inc.